Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Birthdays & Coffee Trucks

There is an ice cream truck that drives by our house every late afternoon. Our next door neighbor buys one for her and her dog, and on nice days they sit in the yard to enjoy the treat together. Very sweet. I just think in my head I would never spend money buying ice cream for a dog, and then I wish the ice cream truck were a coffee truck. I would wait everyday and spend a whole lot of money on a nice hazelnut latte. How awesome would that be?

Well...I can't get that wish, but I do get to enjoy my beautiful daughter all day long on her first birthday. Can you believe it? I am so grateful to God for her and for the joy she brings us. I am remembering back to trying to get pregnant a lot these days and comparing it in my mind to our adoption. Both have required so much trust, more than I can come up with on my own. I am praying so much that God will help me remember that He is in control of everything. As I pray, I am remembering my disappointment at not being able to get pregnant on our own and then going through fertility treatments and wondering if we'd ever get to hold a baby and call her our own. God didn't have to, but in His mercy He allowed us to get pregnant. I vividly remember the joy of finally holding Ali in our arms one year ago; I know I will experience joy again when we hold our next child in our arms. I am praising God for so much today...for His son, Jesus, for helping us have faith, for being sovereign, even over our small lives, for His faithfulness to us, for our daughter, Aliana, and for the child we do not know yet! I can't wait to meet him. (or her.) :)

2 comments:

Amy said...

I didn't realize it was Ali's Birthday. I wil have to make a note of that. See you in 2 hours.

ABOUT XIN LEI said...

Happy Birtday little Ali!